Click from the list below to navigate to that section of this guide for more information!
NOTE: Images may vary slightly. This troubleshooting guide was accurate at the time it was created, but new software updates may not be reflected. However, the steps will be the same!
Your product manual has detailed information on all of your product’s features and capabilities. It includes images of each menu within your recorder’s firmware and easy step-by-step information on making adjustments to your settings. To access it:
a. Visit Support.NightOwlSP.com
b. Enter your Series located on the product’s support sticker.
NOTE: For recorder’s, the support sticker is usually located on top in the left-hand corner.
c. Under Helpful Resources, click on “Manual.” This will download a full copy of your manual to your PC or Mac.
For Night Owl Protect, we offer a large number of short, yet informative, how to videos to assist you with setup and troubleshooting. You can watch the video from the convenience of your Smart Device, PC or Mac and pause it while you perform the easy to follow how to steps!
a. Click on the image below to watch the videos.
For enhanced privacy and security, we recommend using your Night Owl Protect username to login to your recorder.
The following options can be used to login to your Night Owl Protect recorder:
Option #1: Username
a. Type your username.
b. Enter your password.
c. Tap “Login.”
Option #2: Email Address
NOTE: Your email address MUST be verified in your Night Owl Protect account, or you will be unable to use it to access the Night Owl Protect account from your Smart Device.
a. Follow the steps below to verify your email address using the Night Owl Protect app:
1. Log in to your Night Owl Protect mobile app.
2. Tap “Account” on the bottom right of the Devices screen.
3. Tap on your “Name/Email.”
4. Tap “Verify” next to your email address to receive an email with a secure code.
5. Retrieve the code from the email and return to the app.
6. Enter the code into the blank field to verify your email address.
b. Follow the steps below to verify your email address using the Night Owl Protect website:
1. Go to https://www.no-protect.com/
2. Log in to your Night Owl Protect account with your username and password.
3. Click your “Username” in the upper right corner of the window.
4. Click “Manage my account.”
5. Click “Verify” next to your email address to receive an email with a secure code.
6. Retrieve the code from the email and return to the website.
7. Enter the code into the blank field to verify your email address.
Option #3:Mobile Phone Number
NOTE: Your mobile phone number was verified when you created your Night Owl Protect account.
Follow the steps below to use your mobile phone number to log in to your account:
a. If it is not pre-populated, you MUST enter +1 into the field.
NOTE: The + is found by clicking 123 on the on-screen keyboard that appears when logging into the recorder.
b. Next, enter the area code followed by the phone number (no spaces or dashes).
c. Example: +15551234567
d. Enter your password and click “Login.”
For added security benefits, we recommend using your username to login to your Night Owl recorder. If you have forgotten your username, you can find it by signing into the mobile app with your pin, face id, email or phone number.
a. Log in to your Night Owl Protect mobile app.
b. Tap on “Account” on the bottom right of the Devices screen.
c. Tap on your “Name/Email.”
d. Your username is found in the Username field.
Single Sign-On lets you securely access multiple Night Owl devices with one set of login credentials. The password is the same for your recorder and the mobile app, so you can quickly reset it without having to call Technical Support.
My DVR/NVR is connected to the Internet.
a. Using the Mobile App
If you forgot your password and are logged into the DVR/NVR with your Night Owl Protect account credentials, go to the mobile Night Owl Protect app to reset the password.
1. Tap “Forgot my password” on the Night Owl Protect app login page.
2. After resetting, log into your DVR/NVR with the new password.
3. Be sure to keep your DVR/NVR powered on and connected to the Internet so that it can receive the new password once you change it.
b. Not Using the Mobile App
If you are not using the mobile Night Owl Protect app you can also reset your DVR / NVR password.
1. Visit https://www.no-protect.com/
2. Click “Get Started.”
3. On the next page select “Forgot Password.”
4. Enter your Night Owl Protect username and a new password will be sent to your registered email address.
My DVR/NVR is not connected to the Internet or it hasn’t been logged into using my Night Owl Protect account credentials.
a. Click "Forgot password" in the DVR/NVR Login screen.
b. A reset code is required for password resets. To receive a code log into your Night Owl Protect account, or if you don't have an account, you can create one by clicking here .
c. Once registered, click on the device's panel.
d. Click the "Reset Code" button on the right side of the panel.
e. Enter the date that is currently displaying on the device's Live View.
f. Click "Ok" to receive a Reset Code.
g. Return to the DVR /NVR and enter the code.
h. Once verified, you can create a new password.
Want to share access to your system with a family member, friend or co-worker? You can easily do so using the Night Owl Protect App.
To share access to your Night Owl Protect device, the guest MUST have their own Night Owl Protect account. Please ensure they have downloaded the app onto their Smart Device, setup their account and verified their email before proceeding.
a. To Share Access to your Night Owl Protect Device:
1. Log in to the Night Owl Protect app on your mobile device.
2. From the Devices page, tap on the device you want to share access to.
3. Under Sharing, tap on “Members” (Android) or “Shared Users” (iOS).
4. If you have not already done so, you may be asked to verify your email address before sharing access. To do so:
- Tap “Verify Now.”
- Tap on your “Email” under Email Address.
- Tap on “Verify My Email.”
- Tap “OK.”
- A secure code will be sent to your email. Go to your email and retrieve the code then return to the app.
- Enter the secure code and then tap “Verify My Email.”
- Your email address has now been confirmed and you’ll see “Verified” next to your email.
5. Tap on “Get Started” if prompted.
6. Tap on “Add Member” (Android) or “Add a Person” (iOS).
NOTE: Before you proceed, the person you are sharing access with must have downloaded the Night Owl Protect App to their Smart Device, setup their account and verified their email. If they have not, please have them do so before continuing.
7. Enter the name of the person you are sharing access with in the Name field.
8. Tap on the device you want to share (Android) or “Next” (iOS).
9. Enter the email address of the person you are sharing access with in the Email field.
10. Enter a personal message (optional).
11. Tap the “✓” (Android) or “Send” (iOS) in the top right corner of the screen.
12. An email invite will be sent to the guest and you will see them added as a member. At this time the guest will see the shared recorder on the devices page of their Night Owl Protect mobile app and can access it.
NOTE: The person must have the app on their Smart Device, setup their account and verified their email. If there is any issue gaining access, ensure they have done so. As a last resort, use the steps below to delete them and then perform steps 1 through 12 again.
b. To Delete a Shared Access Member:
1. Log in to the Night Owl Protect app on your mobile device.
2. On the Devices page, tap on the device you would like to remove a guest from.
3. Tap on “Members” (Android) or “Shared Users” (iOS) under Sharing.
4. Tap on the person you want to delete.
5. Tap on “Remove User From This Device” (Android) or “Remove” (iOS).
6. You will be asked if you are sure. Tap “OK” (Android) or “Confirm” (iOS) to confirm.
7. The member will now be removed and will no longer have access to your Night Owl Protect device.
Thank you for Choosing Night Owl!