*Images may vary
Booting Up for the First Time
When you power on the DVR
you will be prompted with the
following screen. Please follow
the instructions to complete the
Important... Please Read
Admin Account Creation
By default, the username will be admin. It must remain admin upon your initial account configuration. However, you may add additional users at a later time.
NOTE: Password can be any alphanumeric combination between 6 and 20 characters.
Recovery Email Address
Please ensure you provide a valid email address in case you ever forget your account information.
Note: You MUST enter a VALID email address. If you don't, you will have to call Tech Support to reset your password, and that just seems like a waste of time.
Remember Your Password
Night Owl strongly recommends writing down your password within the Quick Setup Guide. You will need it every time you log into your DVR and to remotely view on a Smart Device.
Your cameras, when properly placed, use Human Detection and Facial Capture with Recognition to reduce false alerts. The technology is fantastic, but it does require meeting certain conditions to get the best results. When mounting your cameras, keep the following tips in mind.
For Your Information
- Changes in lighting and environmental conditions may cause false alerts.
- Changes in a person's look (glasses, hats, beards, etc.) may affect the recognition process.
- The corners of the camera's field of view may not be as accurate.
Download and Install Application
1. Download the app from the App Store or Google Play Store and install the application on your device.
2. Create an account using an email address for the username and a password between 6–20 characters.
3. After completing the account setup and verification process, sign into the app and tap the "+" symbol to add a device.
NOTE: The Night Owl Application will lead you through the rest of the setup process.
Connecting and Adding your Device
NOTE: When adding a new device, it may take 5–10 minutes before you begin receiving notifications.
A device can be added to the Night Owl Connect App by using the application’s Smart Auto Detection or through a QR Code Setup. With Smart Auto Detection, your DVR will automatically be detected by the Night Owl Connect software, making connecting easy! To use this preferred method, ensure your Smart Device and DVR are both on the same network.
4. Adding a Device
To begin adding a new device, first select the yellow plus sign within the Device menu.
4A. Smart Auto Detection
If your DVR and Smart Device are running Night Owl Connect on the same network, the Smart Auto Detection will find your DVR. If this method is not available, please use the QR Code Setup from step 4B below.
4B. QR Code Setup
To use the QR Code Setup, select Setup device by QR Code and hover your Smart Device camera lens over the QR Code located on the top of your DVR.
5. On the Device Login screen, enter the login information for the DVR (Remember, the DVR login and Night Owl Connect app login are different). The DVR username is admin by default. If you are not the admin, login with your username credentials.