*Images may vary
Thank you for choosing Night Owl Security Products!
By purchasing a Night Owl product, you receive a one (1) year warranty covering manufacturing defects in material and workmanship. In addition to warranty and technical support benefits, you will have access to our multitude of free instructional “How to Videos”. You can also view our instructional videos by clicking the “How to Videos” tab within your product’s page on our website.
Night Owl’s Smart Wireless Gateway Compatibility:
Night Owl's Wireless Gateway is compatible with the following model numbers:
WCM-PWNVR20W-BU-JUN; WCM-SDP2PIN-JUN; WCM-SD2POU-BU-JUN
Please see the warranty section of this manual for exclusions and additional details. Not all features and capabilities are shared across all models so you may see features which are not applicable. In addition, you may see screen images that do not exactly match those on your display.
THIS MANUAL WAS ACCURATE AT THE TIME IT WAS COMPLETED. DUE TO OUR ONGOING EFFORT TO CONSTANTLY IMPROVE OUR PRODUCTS, FUNCTIONS MAY HAVE BEEN ADDED OR CHANGED.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
This device complies with Part 15 of the FCC Rules. Operation is subject to the following two conditions: (1) this device may not cause harmful interference and (2) this device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation.
FCC Compliance Statement
These limits are designed to provide reasonable protection against frequency interference in residential installation. This equipment generates, uses and can radiate radio frequency energy and if not installed or used in accordance with the instructions, may cause harmful interference to radio communication. However, there is no guarantee that interference will not occur in television reception, which can be determined by turning the equipment off and on. The user is encouraged to try and correct the interference by one or more of the following measures:
- Reorient or relocate the receiving antenna.
- Increase the separation between the equipment and the receiver.
- Connect the equipment into an outlet on a circuit different from that to which the receiver is connected.
- Consult the dealer or an experienced radio/TV technician for help.
The Federal Communications Commission warns the user that changes or modifications to the unit not expressly approved by the party responsible for compliance could void the user’s authority to operate the equipment.
CHAPTER 2: SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS
1. Use the provided power adapter. Do not use this product with a power source that applies more than the specified voltage.
2. Never insert metal into the Gateway case or its openings. Inserting metal into the Gateway case may cause electric shock.
3. Do not operate in wet or dusty areas. Avoid placing the Gateway in areas such as a damp basement or dusty attic.
4. Do not expose the Gateway to rain or use near water. Avoid placing the Gateway in areas such as a damp basement or dusty attic.
5. Keep product surfaces clean and dry. To clean the outside case of the Gateway, use a lightly dampened cloth. Do not use cleaning solutions or solvents.
6. Do not install near any heat sources. Do not install the Gateway near any heat sources such as stoves, heat registers, radiators or electronics (including amplifiers) that produce heat.
7. Unplug the Gateway when moving it. Make sure that the Gateway is unplugged before you move it. When moving this device, be sure to handle it with care.
8. Make sure there is good air circulation around the Gateway. This Gateway uses an internal hard drive, which generates heat during operation for video storage. Do not block vents on the Gateway, as these vents reduce the generated heat while the system is running. Place this product in well-ventilated area.
9. Do not attempt to remove the top cover. If you observe any abnormal operation, unplug the Gateway immediately and contact Technical Support. Do not attempt to open the Gateway to diagnose the cause of the problem.
10. Handle the Gateway carefully. If you drop the Gateway on any hard surface, it may damage the device. If the Gateway doesn't work properly due to physical damage, contact an authorized dealer for repair.
11. It is recommended to use your Gateway with an uninterruptible power supply (UPS). Connecting your Gateway and cameras to a UPS allows continuous operation even during power outages. The run-time duration will depend on the rating of the UPS used.
You may be subjected to severe electrical shock if you remove the cover of the Gateway.
CHAPTER 3: SPECIFICATIONS
3.1 System Requirements
Please be sure that your mobile device complies with the following specifications:
- AndroidTM: 4.4.2 and above
iOS®: 10.3.3 and above
THIS MANUAL WAS ACCURATE AT THE TIME IT WAS COMPLETED. DUE TO OUR ONGOING EFFORT TO CONSTANTLY IMPROVE OUR PRODUCTS, SPECIFICATIONS MAY HAVE BEEN ADDED OR CHANGED.
- Sync Button -- Press for approximately 3 seconds to search for and sync to devices that are in Pairing Mode (ex. IP Cameras or Doorbell). This process may take up to a minute.
- microSD -- The maximum microSD card size is 32 GB. The microSD card can be formatted using the Night Owl App.
- Network: Ethernet Cable (RJ-45 Cable) Port -- Connect the Gateway to a Router using the included Ethernet Cable (RJ-45). The Gateway will search for the Internet when powered on, and on a frequent basis thereafter. The Internet Status Light will be solid green when connected to the Internet.
- Power Input -- Use the included Gateway Power Cord only.
- Reset -- Press for approximately 10 seconds to reset the Gateway to Factory Settings. This process will reboot the Gateway and clear all the Channels of synced devices. This process will unlink the connection of the Gateway from the Night Owl App. The Gateway will have to be deleted from the App, and then re-added.
Note: Resetting the factory settings removes ALL devices from the Gateway. After resetting, press the SYNC Button for approximately 3 seconds to locate any sync previously paired devices, even if the devices are not in pairing mode.
Mounting The Gateway
For the best experience, the Gateway should be centrally located in your home/business and close to your router.
1. Measure the distance between (A) and (B).
2. Make 2-hole marks (C) on the mounting surface using the measurement from step 1.
3. Use a drill or screwdriver to make holes in the mounting surface (D).
4. Insert the included wall anchors into each hole (E)
5. Insert a screw into each wall anchor (F). Fasten until it is almost flush with the surface.
6. Fit the Gateway over the screws and slowly slide down until secured (G)
Gateway Status Light Key
- Internet Status Light:
- Green Steady: Connected to the Internet
- Green Blinking: Internet is not available
- No Light: Gateway has no power.
- Channel Status Lights:
- Green Steady: Device is not synched to the Gateway.
- Green Blinking: Device is associated to the Gateway but there is NO connection between them. (i.e IP Camera is OFF or was Factory Reset)
- No Light: Channel is not associated with a device.
Camera Status Light Key
Quickly Flashing -- Pairing Mode (Default)
Slowly Flashing -- Camera is not connected to the Gateway or Wi-Fi network
Solid Light -- Camera is connected and functional
- If there is no new firmware available, the Gateway plays the voice prompt:
- If there is new firmware available, the Gateway plays the voice prompt:
After the upgrade is completed, the Gateway plays the voice prompt "Woohoo! Firmware upgrade is complete." If the upgrade fails, the Gateway plays the voice prompt "Oops, the upgrading process failed, please retry later."
Note: If the upgrade is successful, the Gateway will automatically reboot and update the firmware.
6. The Gateway searches its channels for connected Night Owl Devices.
- If there are no devices paired with the Gateway, the voice prompt "Pair me to other Night Owl Devices by pressing my Sync Button for 3 seconds" will play.
- If the Gateway is paired with 1 or more Night Owl Devices, NO audio will be played.
7. Booting process complete.
- If the Gateway doesn't find any Night Owl Devices to pair with, the voice prompt "Oops, the pairing failed. Please repeat the process" will play.
- When adding multiple Night Owl Devices to the Gateway, if at least one fails to pair, you will hear the voice prompt:
- When the Gateway successfully pairs to ALL Night Owl Devices, the voice prompt will say:
1. Press the Reset Button for approximately 10 seconds. The Gateway's voice prompt will say:
2. Once the Gateway is reset, it will automatically reboot.
3. Resetting the factory settings removes ALL devices from the Gateway. Press the Sync Button for approximately 3 seconds to add previously paired Night Owl Devices, even if those devices are not in pairing mode.
Note: If a Night Owl Device (i.e, Cameras, Doorbell) is restored to its factory settings, it MUST be in pairing mode to be added to the Gateway.
4. The Gateway MUST be deleted from the Night Owl App and then added again.
Download the app from the App Store or Google Play Store and install the application on your device.
1. Press the "+" icon.
2. Select "Gateway" from the device list and follow the on-screen instructions.
3. Make sure the Smart Device running the Night Owl App is on the same network as the Gateway during setup. Tap "Continue" to allow the app to locate the Gateway.
4. Be patient as the app finds the Gateway.
5. If the Night Owl App does not find the Gateway, tap "View setup instructions again" and make sure the Smart Device running the app is on the same network as the Gateway.
6. If there are multiple Gateways on the same network as the Smart Device running the Night Owl App, they will be listed here.
7. When the setup is successful, you will be prompted to name the Gateway.
8. Example of a newly added Gateway with no cameras.
1. The Gateway's name and connection status.
2. Tap the "Settings" icon to access the Gateway's Settings MEnu. If the Gateway is in "Offline" or "Autho Failed" status, tap the "Settings" icon to reconnect the app to the Gateway. If a connection is NOT made, the Settings Menu will not be accessible.
3. The Gateway's channels are displayed here. If the "+" icon is visible, the channel isn't paired with a device. The channels bar scrolls left and right.
4. Tapping the "+" icon on an individual channel allows the user to add more Night Owl Devices to the Gateway. This method adds all the Night Owl Devices that are in pairing mode to the Gateway.
5. The channel's name.
The Gateway and the app are communicating. The user can access the live stream and use all the features.
The app is trying to establish the communication with the Gateway.
The Night Owl App isn't communicating with the Gateway due to one of the following reasons:
The Gateway has been reset to Factory Settings but hasn't been deleted from the app. You MUST delete the Gateway from the app and then add it back to view the channel stream.
1. Tap the channels "+" icon to go directly to the instructions for adding Night Owl Devices to the Gateway.
2. Select a Night Owl Device (except the Gateway) and follow on-screen instructions to add to the Gateway or a Wi-Fi Network.
1. Tap "Yes" if the Night Owl Device's Status Light is flashing quickly (in Pairing Mode). Tap "No" for pairing instructions.
2. Follow the on-screen instructions and tap "Continue"
3. Follow the on-screen instructions and tap "Continue"
4. Follow the on-screen instructions and tap "Continue"
NOTE: All Night Owl Devices in “Pairing Mode” and in proximity to the Gateway will begin the pairing process. Devices added cannot exceed the number of channels. The pairing process may take up to a minute.
5. Follow the on-screen instructions and tap "Continue"
6. Tap "Finish" to return to the "Devices" screen. Selecting "Add more cameras" will take you back to step 1 of this section.
7. When adding a Night Owl Device to the Gateway, the "Devices" screen will look like the picture above. Tap the "Play Button" on an individual channel to view the live stream.
Note: Each device has its own "Settings" icon next to the name.
1. Back: Tap to return to the previous screen.
2. Save: Tap to save the Gateway settings.
3. Device Name: View and edit the device's name.
4. Model: The model # of your Gateway.
5. Firmware version: Version of the software running on the Gateway.
6. microSD status: Indicates the SD card is formatted correctly.
7. Free/Capacity: The amount of memory used and total available on the microSD card.
8. Formate microSD: Select to format or reformat a microSD card.
9. Channels in Use: Access the Settings Menu for each device connected to the Gateway.
10. Upgrade: Indicates if an upgrade is available or if the latest version is running.
- Back: Tap to return to the previous screen.
- Channel: Name of the live view.
- Settings: Tap to access the channel settings.
- Stream's Bitrate: When switching from SD to HD, the bitrate will dramatically increase.
- Data: Amount of data used in stream's transmission.
- Talk: Press and hold to talk, release to listen. (Sound must be unmuted)
- Playback Timeline: Search for recordings based on time of day.
- Playback Scroll: Scroll left to right to search for recordings.
- Playbacks: Indicates a recording exists at that time.
- Zoom: Tap to zoom in or out.
- Playback Date: Day of the month.
- Capture: Take a snapshot of the live stream.
- Record: Manually record the live stream.
- Sound: Tap to mute or unmute sound around the Night Owl Device.
Note: Pressing and holding the "Talk Button" that appears on the live view screen, when audio is unmuted, allows the Night Owl Audio Enabled Device to act as a Walkie Talkie.
- Channel: Name of the live view
- Edit: Edit the channel's name
- Model: The model # of your Gateway
- Firmware Version: Version of the software running on the Gateway.
- Push Notification: Enable/disable push notifications
- Motion Sensitivity: Adjust the motion sensitivity of the device to Low, Medium, or High.
- Recording Mode: Select recording mode type.
- Upgrade: Indicates if an upgrade is available or if the latest version is running
- Delete: Removes the paired device from the Gateway. The corresponding channel Status Light on the Gateway will turn off.
NIGHT OWL, LLC (‘Night Owl”) provides the following warranty to the original retail purchaser only (the “Purchaser”) with respect to this product (the “Product”):
For a period of one (1) year after the date of sale, the Product shall be free from manufacturing defects in material and workmanship. In the event that the Product is defective, the Purchaser must return the Product at Purchaser’s cost (no CODs) to the address below, with the original proof of purchase receipt. In its sole discretion, Night Owl will either repair or replace the Product at no additional cost to the Purchaser. Any replacement Product (or parts) will be covered by the same warranty as the original Product through the expiration date of the original warranty period.
This warranty does not apply to the following parts or upon the following events:
- Bulbs, LEDS and batteries;
- The Product was not used or installed in the manner described in the installation instructions;
- Negligent use of the Product or misuse or abuse of the Product;
- Electrical short circuits or power surges;
- Use of replacement parts not supplied by Night Owl;
- Product is either tampered with, modified or repaired by another service provider;
- Product has not been maintained in accordance;
- Accident, fire, flood or other acts of God;
- Failure to use Night Owl approved accessories;
- Defects or damages arising by use of the Product in other than normal conditions (including normal atmospheric, moisture and humidity conditions).
Except as otherwise prohibited by law, this warranty is in lieu of other warranties, express or implied and Night Owl neither assumes no authorizes any person to assume for it any other obligation or liability in connection with the sale or service of the Product.
In no event shall Night Owl be liable for any special or consequential damages arising from the use of the Product or arising from the malfunctioning or nonfunctioning of the Product or for any delay in the performance of this warranty due to any cause beyond its control. This warranty shall not apply to installation or the removal and re-installation of products after repair.
Night Owl does not make any claims or warranties of any kind whatsoever regarding the Product’s potential, ability or effectiveness to prevent, minimize or in any way affect personal or property damage or injury. Night Owl is not responsible for any personal damage, loss or theft related to the Product or to its use for any harm, whether physical or mental related thereto. Any and all claims or statements, whether written or verbal, by salespeople, retailers, dealers or distributors to the contrary are not authorized by Night Owl and do not affect this provision of this warranty.
Returns Under This Warranty
In order to obtain service, please make sure that you have registered your product on-line no later than thirty (30) days after purchase at www.NightOwlSP.com in the warranty registration section or in any other manner described in the instructions.
Certain uses, publication and/or distribution of video/audio recordings from security cameras and/or audio devices are prohibited or restricted by federal, state and local laws. When enabling and/or using audio recording features with your hidden security camera, be sure to comply with the laws in your country, state and locality. Mac and Mac OS X are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. Windows, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10 are registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries.
Camera(s) failed to pair to Gateway?
Insert the reset pin into the Sync/Reset (A) hold or press and hold the Reset Button (B) until you hear the camera say "Please be patient. Camera is resetting." Once the camera resets, you will hear "Camera is in pairing mode" and the Status Light will flash quickly.
Note: Reset one camera at a time.
Sync to other Night Owl Devices
To sync the GAteway to a device, press and hold the Sync Button until the voice prompt says, "I am pairing to the Night Owl Device, please be patient." If the synchronization fails, make sure the Night Owl Device the Gateway is searching for is in pairing mode and try again.
Note: The Gateway and the Night Owl Device MUST be on the same network. Before pairing, we recommend you put the Night Owl Device within 9ft from the Gateway.
Resetting the Gateway
To reset the Gateway to factory default settings, insert the reset pin into the reset hole for 10 seconds.
For troubleshooting guides, FAQs, video tutorials and more:
Please visit www.NightOwlSP.com
Click the Support tab.
Type WDB20 in the top right search bar.
Access the support material needed.
iPhone, iPad, Mac and Mac OS X are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. Windows, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows10 are registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries.