Click from the list below to navigate to that section of this guide for more information.
- App Password Issues
- Device Login Issues
- Adding Additional Users for Remote Viewing
- P2P Connection Issues
- Playback / Connection Issues
- CMS Initial Setup
- CMS Crash / Black Screen Issues
NOTE: If you are still experiencing an issue after troubleshooting, please click on Contact Us from your product’s support page to reach our Technical Support Team via Live Chat or Phone.
NOTE: If you are receiving a “Username or Password is incorrect!” error message, ensure you have confirmed your email address.
- To perform an app password reset, follow the steps below:
- Tap Reset password within the app.
- Enter the email address associated with your account and tap Send reset.
- You will be emailed a temporary reset code. Open your email from a web browser and retrieve the code.
- Return to the app and enter the reset code into the password field. Then tap Sign in.
- After you have entered the 6 character code, you will be prompted to create a new password. Once you have completed this section. You have successfully reset your app password.
- Tap Reset password within the app.
To remotely view your system, you will need to add it to the Night Owl X App (smartphones) or Night Owl X HD App (tablets). When doing so, you will be asked to enter the username and password for the system. This is the password you created during the Startup Wizard, when you initially setup the recorder. If you do not remember your password, click on Forgot Password on your recorder’s login screen from a TV / Monitor.
NOTE: This is not the password you created in the app. The password you enter here will be the password for your recorder (DVR/NVR), which should be stored in your Quick Setup Guide. DO NOT enter the password for the app, as this will produce an error message.
If you are the admin of the system and wish to allow someone else to remotely view the cameras from their Smart Device, you will need to create a second set of login credentials for them to use. Please follow the steps below:
- Log in to your recorder from a TV / Monitor using your admin credentials. The username should always be “admin” when creating a secondary account.
- Click anywhere on the screen to make the menu taskbar appear at the bottom of the screen.
- Select the Main Menu icon on the left of the taskbar.
- Navigate to the System or Configuration
- On the left side of the screen click the Users
- Click on Add or Add User.
- Left-click on Edit at the bottom of the screen.
- Edit the second username and then create a username and password for this additional user.
- Lastly, select which permissions you would like this user to have.
- Once complete, share these login credentials with the second user so they can add the system to the Night Owl X / X HD App on their Smart Device to begin viewing.
If the app is not connecting, the QR Code or Owl Scan isn’t working, the P2P doesn’t match the P2P in the recorder firmware or the QR Code is missing, follow the steps below.
NOTE: The P2P ID for your recorder should be on the support sticker on the top or bottom of your recorder.
- Ensure that your recorder is properly connected to your router with the Ethernet cable included in your package.
- Make sure you have installed the correct application for your system and mobile device.
- Connect to your local Wi-Fi network, on your Smart Device, and launch the application.
- Locate the P2P ID for your system.
NOTE: If the P2P QR Code is damaged or missing, please proceed to step g.
- Open the Night Owl X / X HD App and use Owl Scan to scan the QR Code on your recorder.
- Once you have scanned the QR Code, ensure the P2P ID matches what is on the support sticker on your recorder.
- If the sticker is damaged or missing from your recorder, please:
- Log in to your recorder from a TV / Monitor.
- Access the Main Menu by left or right-clicking anywhere on the screen to make the menu icons appear.
- From within the Main Menu, click on Configuration / System.
- Next, click on Network / System Info.
NOTE: The System Info tab will display the QR Code and P2P ID for your recorder.
- Within the app, you should now be able to see your recorder and cameras.
If you are experiencing playback or connection issues, such as slow video / freezing or connection failure, follow the steps below.
- First, ensure you are using the right mobile app for your recorder. You can visit your product’s Series page at support.nightowlsp.com and/or doublecheck your Quick Setup Guide to verify you are using the right app.
- Make sure your recorder and your Smart Device are both properly connected to the Internet.
NOTE: Please make sure your Smart Device is connected to the same local network (router) as the recorder. If you are not sure if your recorder is properly connected to the Internet or you don’t know how to check it, please click DVR / NVR Troubleshooting.
- Ensure your Smart Device meets the minimum requirements listed below:
- The coverage in your area must support 3G, 4G, or 4G LTE.
- Your Smart Device must support 3G, 4G, or 4G LTE.
- Your Smart Device must have the latest version of the Night Owl X / X HD App downloaded from the App Store or Google Play Store. (Make sure you have enough free space to keep the app up to date)
- The SIM card must be inserted properly in your Smart Device (if applicable).
- Ensure that your Smart Device is running the latest software.
- Reboot your Smart Device.
- Remove and reinsert the battery. If the device doesn't have a removable battery, press and hold the power button and volume down button for up to 15 seconds until the device resets.
- Turn the device back on and reopen the Night Owl X / X HD App.
- Uninstall and reinstall the Night Owl X / X HD App and check if the issue still happens.
NOTE: Uninstalling and reinstalling the application may remove any saved recordings within the application.
- Check your Internet speeds. Make sure the network where the recorder is connected meets the minimum requirements.
- Use a computer with PC /MAC OS
- Open a website browser and type www.speedtest.net
- Right-clicking on Begin Test
- See the download/upload speeds
NOTE: We recommend a minimum of 2 Mbps dedicated upload speed for your recorder. Consider that your Internet connection is shared between all the devices you have in your home. So, you will need more than 3 Mbps of upload speed to have your device properly connected.
- For push notification issues, please ensure that push alerts are enabled in the recorder and in the Night Owl X / X HD App for the channel in question. For more information on how to do this, refer to your product’s manual on our support site.
- TIPS: Situations where signal strength can be affected.
- Poor coverage due to building materials or destructive interference.
- Free apps and free games are filled with advertisements that eat your bandwidth and can contribute to poor coverage.
- Your mobile carrier / ISP does not have coverage in the area where you want to connect to the recorder.
- Download the Night Owl X CMS software.
- Install and launch the Night Owl X CMS software.
- Once you have launched the Night Owl X CMS software, you will have the option to create an account or to sign in with a pre-existing account. If you are creating a new account, click Create an account.
NOTE: If you have already created and confirmed your account via the Night Owl X or X HD app, you can log in using your email and password that was created during the setup of your account.
- On the next screen, you will be prompted to enter your Email Address, Password, and Confirm Password.
- After filling in all the values, click Create Account. A confirmation email will be sent to the email address that was entered for your account.
- Please click Confirm Email in the confirmation email to complete the account setup.
- After you have confirmed your email, click the Sign in tab in the Night Owl X CMS software.
- Click on the Device Manager tab at the top of the screen.
- If you can see a UID number and an IP address, this means that your device was recognized by the Local Network. Here you will enter the same credentials on the User Name and Password These should be the same credentials created during the initial setup of your recorder.
- After you have filled in those values, click on the add tab to add your device to the Night Owl X CMS software. Your recorder should now appear in the top right corner of the screen in a thumbnail image.
If you are using the Night Owl X CMS (Control Management Software) and it is crashing or showing a black screen, try the steps below:
- Make sure you are using the correct CMS software for your recorder.
- For black screen issues using a Windows PC:
- Find the Night Owl X CMS icon located on your PC.
- Right-click on the software icon and then left-click Run as administrator.
- This will give the CMS more priority to perform better and will correct the black screen in most cases.
- Please be sure that your PC/MAC complies with the following specifications:
- PC Operating System: Windows® 7, Windows® 8/8.1 and Windows® 10 or above.
- MAC Operating System: MAC OS X® 10.9 and above.
- As a last resort, try restarting the CMS software.
Thank you for choosing Night Owl Security!