Click from the list below to navigate to that section of this guide for more information.
- Device Login Issues
- Adding Additional Users for Remote Viewing
- P2P Connection Issues
- Playback / Connection Issues
- CMS Initial Setup
- CMS Crash / Black Screen Issues
NOTE: If you are still experiencing an issue after troubleshooting, please click on Contact Us from your product’s support page to reach our Technical Support Team via Live Chat or Phone.
To remotely view your system, you will need to add it to the Night Owl HD App. When doing so, you will be asked to enter the username and password for the system. By default, the username is admin. If you are NOT the admin, log in with your username credentials. The admin can create multiple users. If you do not have login credentials, please contact the admin.
2. Adding Additional Users for Remote Viewing
If you are the admin of the system and wish to allow someone else to remotely view the cameras from their Smart Device, you will need to create a second set of login credentials for them to use. Please follow the steps below:
- Log in to your recorder from a TV / Monitor using your admin credentials. The username should always be “admin” when creating a secondary account.
- Click anywhere on the screen to make the menu taskbar appear at the bottom of the screen.
- Select the Main Menu icon on the left of the taskbar.
- Navigate to the System tab at the top of the screen.
- On the left side of the screen click the Users
- Click on User1, which is second on the list.
- Left-click on Edit at the bottom of the screen.
- Edit the second username and then create a username and password for this additional user.
- Lastly, select which permissions you would like this user to have.
- Once complete, share these login credentials with the second user so they can add the system to the Night Owl HD App on their Smart Device to begin viewing.
If the app is not connecting, the QR Code or Owl Scan isn’t working, the P2P doesn’t match the P2P in the recorder firmware or the QR Code is missing, follow the steps below.
NOTE: The P2P ID for your recorder should be on the support sticker on the top or bottom of your recorder.
- Ensure that your recorder is properly connected to your router with the Ethernet cable included in your package.
- Make sure you have installed the correct application for your system and mobile device.
- Connect to your local Wi-Fi network, on your Smart Device, and launch the application.
- Locate the P2P ID for your system.
NOTE: If the P2P QR Code is damaged or missing, please proceed to step g.
- Open the Night Owl HD App and use Owl Scan to scan the QR Code on your recorder.
- Once you have scanned the QR Code, ensure the P2P ID matches what is on the support sticker on your recorder.
- If the sticker is damaged or missing from your recorder, please:
- Log in to your recorder from a TV / Monitor.
- Access the Main Menu by left or right-clicking anywhere on the screen to make the menu icons appear.
- From within the Main Menu, click on Configuration / System.
- Next, click on Network / System Info.
NOTE: The System Info tab will display the QR Code and P2P ID for your recorder.
- Within the app, you should now be able to see your recorder and cameras.
4. Playback / Connection Issues
If you are experiencing playback or connection issues, such as slow video / freezing or connection failure, follow the steps below.
- First, ensure you are using the right mobile app for your recorder. You can visit your product’s Series page at support.nightowlsp.com and/or doublecheck your Quick Setup Guide to verify you are using the right app.
- Make sure your recorder and your Smart Device are both properly connected to the Internet.
NOTE: Please make sure your Smart Device is connected to the same local network (router) as the recorder. If you are not sure if your recorder is properly connected to the Internet or you don’t know how to check it, please click DVR / NVR Troubleshooting.
- Ensure your Smart Device meets the minimum requirements listed below:
- The coverage in your area must support 3G, 4G, or 4G LTE.
- Your Smart Device must support 3G, 4G, or 4G LTE.
- Your Smart Device must have the latest version of the Night Owl HD App downloaded from the App Store or Google Play Store. (Make sure you have enough free space to keep the app up to date)
- The SIM card must be inserted properly in your Smart Device (if applicable).
- Ensure that your Smart Device is running the latest software.
- Reboot your Smart Device.
- Remove and reinsert the battery. If the device doesn't have a removable battery, press and hold the power button and volume down button for up to 15 seconds until the device resets.
- Turn the device back on and reopen the Night Owl HD App.
- Uninstall and reinstall the Night Owl HD App and check if the issue still happens.
NOTE: Uninstalling and reinstalling the application may remove any saved recordings within the application.
- Check your Internet speeds. Make sure the network where the recorder is connected meets the minimum requirements.
- Use a computer with PC /MAC OS
- Open a website browser and type www.speedtest.net
- Right-clicking on Begin Test
- See the download/upload speeds
NOTE: We recommend a minimum of 2 Mbps dedicated upload speed for your recorder. Consider that your Internet connection is shared between all the devices you have in your home. So, you will need more than 3 Mbps of upload speed to have your device properly connected.
- For push notification issues, please ensure that push alerts are enabled in the recorder and in the Night Owl HD App for the channel in question. For more information on how to do this, refer to your product’s manual on our support site.
- TIPS: Situations where signal strength can be affected.
- Poor coverage due to building materials or destructive interference.
- Free apps and free games are filled with advertisements that eat your bandwidth and can contribute to poor coverage.
- Your mobile carrier / ISP does not have coverage in the area where you want to connect to the recorder.
- Download the Night Owl HD CMS software
- Install and launch the Night Owl HD CMS software.
- Follow the Startup Wizard to add a new device.
- If the computer where the software is installed and the recorder are both on the same LAN Network, please click on Add Online Device.
- If the computer and the recorder are not on the same LAN Network, select Add Device and enter the requested information.
- Device Name: Enter your desired device name.
- P2P ID / IP: Enter the P2P ID. You can find it on the silver label on the top of your recorder.
- Media Port: Generally 9000 but you can find it on the Network Setting tab on your recorder’s Main Menu.
- User Name and Password: This information is the same you use to log in to your recorder from a TV / Monitor.
- Channels: This field is auto detected when you add the device.
- Select the online device. If you have more than one device connected to the same network, please make sure you are adding the desired one. Click on Add Selected Device.
- Enter the Device Name, Username, and Password of the device. If you are having a problem connecting the device, please make sure you are entering the correct Username and Password.
- Once the recorder has been added, it will appear on the left window. Click on the Import All button to add the device and all connected channels. After this, the added device should appear on the right window. Click Next to finish the Startup Wizard.
- To start viewing your cameras, locate the Control Panel tab on the top menu and select Main Menu.
- Select the cameras you want to see by clicking on the respective channels.
6. CMS Crash / Black Screen Issues
If you are using the Night Owl HD CMS (Control Management Software) and it is crashing or showing a black screen, try the steps below:
- Make sure you are using the correct CMS software for your recorder.
- For black screen issues using a Windows PC:
- Find the Night Owl CMS icon located on your PC.
- Right-click on the software icon and then left-click Run as administrator.
- This will give the CMS more priority to perform better and will correct the black screen in most cases.
- Please be sure that your PC/MAC complies with the following specifications:
- PC Operating System: Windows® 7, Windows® 8/8.1 and Windows® 10 or above.
- MAC Operating System: MAC OS X® 10.9 and above.
- As a last resort, try restarting the CMS software.
Thank you for choosing Night Owl Security!