- Power Supply Issues
- Power switch on the device is set to off or not working.
- Battery Backup not powering.
- Firmware does not boot up.
- No video output.
1. If the DVR is properly connected to the power? Do you hear the humming of the HDD?
Some DVR’s (AHD7 and AHD10 series) don’t have Power ON Status LEDs at all. For this series, you can see the blinking LEDs on the LAN Port or the light of the optical mouse to verify the DVR is getting power. Also, you can verify if it's power on by hearing the HDD’s humming sound coming from inside the DVR.
2. If you determine that the DVR is Power On, but you are not able to see an image on your monitor, please, refer to this article, you may have an Output Video Issue. If the DVR is turned OFF continue below.
3. Is there power on the outlet where you are connecting your DVR?
Note: try with another device such a lamp or charger to make sure the outlet has power or try a different good known power outlet.
4. Please verify if the power adapter is connected to a Surge Protector/Power Strip or Battery Backup. If yes, please connect the DVR’s power supply to the wall socket.
Note: This will help us identify if the issue is with the Surge Protector/Power strip or the Battery Backup.
5. If your device has a power switch on the back, is the power switch in the ON position?
Note: disconnect the AC power adapter, then reconnect the AC power adapter and turn the switch on
6. Is the AC power adapter defective or incorrectly connected? Is the power adapter that came in the box with the system the one being used?
Note: Make sure the power adapter being used is the one that came in the box with the system. Powering a good known camera straight with the DVR power supply. Powering the DVR unit with the Camera AC Power adapter. Verify that the power adapter cable is correctly plugged into the system and a power outlet. Make sure you are using the correct Power Adapter by checking the Output specifications from the label of the power adaptor, these values may vary by model, check Table 1 for detailed information. Check for any physical damage to the System’s power supply and Camera’s Power supply, look for signs of melting and or burn smell in these wires. If the power adapter does not provide sufficient power for the system, it may prevent the system from powering up or detecting the hard drive. So, if there is an indication from the troubleshooting above that the power adapter may be defective, the power adapter needs to be replaced and a warranty claim process can be started.
Device Power Adapter Requirements
|DVR/NVR Series||Power Adapter Specs|
|AHD7 Series||12V – DC, 2A|
Table. 1. Minimum Power requirements of the AHD7 Series
Note: Night Owl strongly recommends not using other power adapters than the one that came with the system.
7. Is your DVR still not powering ON nor doing any humming noises nor showing any video after all the steps above are successfully passed?
Note: In case the user get to this point, please contact our Technical Support Team. After the agent makes sure that the troubleshooting steps have been done properly and there is no other step to follow, the warranty claim process can be started.