- During Startup Wizard, network check fails
- Device cannot be found in the network
- Device cannot get an IP address (Wrong IP settings)
- The Night Owl HD CMS Software is not connecting remotely.
- Night Owl HD App cannot connect while in local Wi-Fi
1. Check all cable connections
• Please, check the network cable is not loose and properly connected. Network cable must be connected from the DVR network port to one of the available LAN port in the Local Router (e.g. LAN1, LAN2 etc.)
2. Check for damaged cable or IPS issues
• Unplug the Ethernet cable from your DVR and connect to another device (e.g. laptop) to check the cable condition.
If you have internet connection on the other device, this means that the Ethernet Cable works, so you can plug the cable again on your DVR and go to Step 3 of this guide.
If you don’t have internet on the other device, either the cable is not working, or you are having a problem with your Internet Service Provider (ISP).
• Connect the DVR using a different Ethernet cable and check the network connection as indicated in the next step.
o Check for Ethernet port green and amber activity lights on the system.
If you still don’t have Internet Connection after changing the cable, neither on the DVR or in the laptop, you must contact your ISP.
If you can see activity lights working, please, restart your device. This will refresh the IP assigned to the DVR by your router. After restarting, your device must have Internet Connection. If not, please go to Step 3.
3. Check Network Settings and IP address
o Check if the IP address of the DVR is different from the default one.
|DVR Series||Default IP address|
o Check if the IP address is set in DHCP (Static/DHCP disabled Configuration is recommended only for advanced users)
To check these parameters, please, follow the next steps:
3.1 For HDA10 Series:
• Go to DVR Main Menu (You may need to log in after this step)
• General Tab will appear by default, on this Tab select Network sub-tab
• On Network sub-tab, select Main. On this screen, you can check the IP address of your device and verify if it’s set on DHCP. (If you change the settings from Static to DHCP, please, restart your device. This will refresh the IP assigned to the DVR by your router)
4. As a last resource, default the System to the factory settings.
(Note that all current setting will be erased but not the HDD recordings)
To factory reset your device, please, follow the next link for help How to Factory Reset my DVR/NVR?
If all Troubleshooting Steps Fail and a Warranty Claim is needed, please Contact our Technical Support Team. Our technician will need to make sure all steps were done. Please, have the device’s model noted when you call.
Note: In order to remote connect the DVR using your smartphone or CMS, your network speed must accomplish some minimum requirements. Please, follow the next steps:
1. Use a computer with PC /MAC OS
2. Open a Website Browser and type www.speedtest.net
3. Click on Begin Test
4. See the download/upload speeds
NOTE: We recommend minimum 2 Mbps upload speed for your DVR. Consider that your Internet Connection is shared between all the devices you have in your home. So, you will need more than 2 Mbps of upload speed to have your device properly connected.